What is cross-infection, and what do we do about it…?
The passing of infection between people is known as cross-infection. The risk of cross-infection in health-care facilities can be reduced, but this risk can never be completely eliminated.
At South West Orthodontics we take enormous pride in our standard of cross-infection control. We have evidence-based protocols in place to minimise the risk of cross-infection in each area of the practice, and we regularly review and update our protocols to protect you and our team members.
During your visits you will notice:
- frequent hand hygiene in the clinical areas;
- the use of gloves, protective clothing and eye protection in the clinical areas;
- barrier techniques such as disposable plastic covers on dental light handles.
You probably won’t see what goes on behind the scenes, for instance:
- we use disposable rather than re-usable items wherever possible;
- all re-usable items are scrubbed, ultrasonically cleaned, and sterilised after every use;
- our sterilisers are tested daily;
- we track certain items so we know exactly which instruments were used on each patient;
- we follow the Australian Dental Association guidelines on staff immunisation;
- we do regular training in cross-infection control.
As you can see, at South West Orthodontics we work hard to keep you and ourselves safe.